CALL FOR PAPERS: Sport Discrimination Conference
Oxford Brookes University, Tuesday 4th September 2018
The third Sport and Discrimination Conference explores the interdisciplinary and intersectional nature of discrimination within the sporting world. This one-day conference at Oxford Brookes University aims to investigate different forms of discrimination (racial, gender, sexuality, disability, class, etc), across a range of sports, drawing on work from a variety of academic fields (including sociology, sports studies, psychology, politics, history, and media and cultural studies).
What is the nature and extent of discrimination in sport today? How does it affect people’s experience of sport and their wider lives? What are the barriers to change? And how can discrimination best be tackled in the future? These are some of the issues which we hope to explore.
This conference welcomes and encourages proposals from academics, postgraduates and policy makers, who wish to present papers making empirical, theoretical or personal contributions. Because we are in a Football World Cup year, we particularly welcome proposals from those exploring the tournament in Russia. And, as class is often marginalised in discourses around sport and discrimination, we would encourage proposals which critically explore this. Proposals may approach the conference theme from a variety of perspectives, including:
- Empirical findings about the nature and extent of discrimination in sport;
- Research articulating the experiences of those who have suffered discrimination in sport;
- Research which attempts to understand the intersectional nature of discrimination within sport;
- Contributions adding to the theoretical understanding of sport and discrimination;
- Policy recommendations for tackling and reducing discrimination in sport.
Proposals, for 20 minute presentations, should include title, abstract (250 words), the name and institutional affiliation of the presenter and a concise biography (100 words). The submission deadline is Friday 8 June 2018. All submissions and enquiries should be sent to: SportDisc@leedsbeckett.ac.uk
The conference attendance fee is £75 for academics and £50 for postgraduates. The registration page and link will be circulated following your notification of acceptance (if accepted) on 22 June.
- March 2018: Call for papers
- 8 June 2018: Deadline for the submission of paper abstracts
- 22 June 2018: Notification of acceptance
- 4 September 2018: Sport and Discrimination Conference at Oxford Brookes University
- Oxford Brookes University, John Henry Brookes Building, Headington Campus, Gipsy Lane, Oxford, OX3 0BP
- Dr Daniel Kilvington
Course Director in Media and Cultural Studies
Leeds Beckett University
- Dr John Price
Senior Lecturer and Programme Leader for Sports Journalism
University of Sunderland
- Dr Adam White
Teaching Fellow (Academic Sport)
Oxford Brookes University
- Dr Stuart Whigham
Lecturer in Sport, Coaching and Physical Education
Oxford Brookes University
© Copyright Adam John White